Yahoo has sort of a neat widget thing to track and predict the election polls: http://news.yahoo.com/election/2008/dashboard. It's got some N/A results for some states where I guess polling hasn't been done (is that possible?), but some are pretty easy to guess like, for example, Hawaii and DC, which have gone blue in every recent election, and Wyoming, SD and Idaho, which have consistently gone red. I sort of wish the polls weren't as close as they are. It's exciting and all, and I'm glad people who haven't really been into politics are considering voting, but it's too much for my nerves that every election I can remember has been so close.
Another word about polling: apparently fewer and fewer people have been responding to the pollsters or answering their phones or whatnot, so the polls results that we do have might be completely wrong. I'd like to compare the predictions and the results after the election to see how close they were.
3 comments:
I totally agree. My secretary Rebecca and I are in states of near emotional collapse over the suspense of it all.
Rebecca and I are both Obama gals, btw. We seem to have something new to whazz out about every day-- I almost can't bear to talk about it some days.
Yesterday's fuss about McCain calling sexual abuse prevention "sex ed for kindergartners" caused much grinding of teeth here. I think the news media are adding to everyone's agony by making it all about gaffes, spin, etc., instead of comparing policies and the stuff that matters. There is too much emotion, not enough sense.
I agree. My office mate was all bristly today about (as she was encouraged to think by the news) that Obama calling Palin a pig in lipstick, and then she looked into it and found out what was going on. I'm trying really hard to be bilaterally critical of political smearing, but I do think it's at least a little illustrative of the different campaign styles that McCain used that expression actually in reference to Hilary, and no one made a fuss about it on the Democrat side, and then Obama says that about McCain, which got twisted into him saying it about Palin, which got twisted into it being sexist. The thing that worries me most is that these are the things that people are talking about, and they're not necessarily looking into these allegations to find out what was really said (I'm including myself in this. I've bought, line and sinker, everything the media has said about Palin without investigating it for myself, which I'm a little ashamed of. I did read that letter on your blog, though!). Also, I would much prefer if my officemate came in bristling about Obama's education policy, or whatever, than some stupid spin. Even though I support Obama, I'd much rather hear about how she disagrees with him on policy than how she'd believed the easily dismissed attempt to smear his character.
Post a Comment