| Prep Time: 35 Minutes Cook Time: 35 Minutes | Ready In: 1 Hour 10 Minutes Yields: 12 servings |
"Hearty and flavorful, this chicken and barley soup is the perfect comfort food for a cold winter's night."
INGREDIENTS:
| 1 cup slivered almonds 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 medium onion, chopped 1 cup chopped celery 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 cup chopped carrots | 5 cups diced red potatoes 3 cups chopped cooked chicken 2 1/2 quarts chicken broth 1 cup quick-cooking barley 2 tablespoons butter 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley salt and black pepper to taste |
DIRECTIONS:
| 1. | Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spread slivered almonds evenly over a baking sheet. Toast in preheated oven until golden brown and fragrant. (about 5 min) |
| 2. | Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Cook onions, celery, mushrooms, and garlic in oil until onions are tender. |
| 3. | Stir in carrots, potatoes, chicken, and broth. Bring to a boil, then stir in barley. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. |
| 4. | Remove from heat, and stir in butter, parsley, and toasted almonds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. |
RESULTS: Don't skip the almonds, they're a really nice touch. Just be careful about burning them; I'd set the timer for 5 minutes and then keep checking them. Obviously, I learned this the hard way. All in all, a really comforting soup, and I think you could switch out vegetables, if you have to get rid of some others. Also, if you don't have quick barley, as I didn't, I just simmered the barley in the chicken broth for 45 minutes or so before adding it to the soup. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment