Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Red Wine Risotto with Radicchio and Asiago

From my Mario Batali cookbook:

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion diced
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 cup dry red wine
8 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
1 head radicchio, cut into 1/2 inch ribbons
4T butter
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 cup Asiago cheese

DIRECTIONS
In a saute pan, heat olive oil until almost smoking. Add onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add rice and stir until toasted, about 4 minutes. Add wine and a ladleful of stock and cook until liquid is absorbed. Add more stock to cover rice and bring to a boil. Add radicchio and stir well. Continue cooking and adding stock a ladleful at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed each time before adding more. Cook until rice is tender and creamy, about 18 minutes. You may have stock leftover. Remove pan from heat, add butter and cheeses and stir until well mixed. Serve with additional cheese.

RESULTS
I would say, hold back on some of the cheese until you have a chance to taste it, I could have gone with about half as much cheese, and I halved the butter. Otherwise, very tasty, one of those things that takes an hour to make and about a minute to eat because it's so good.

I'm starting to get a little better with risotto, I think it's partly because I'm also trying to make myself be patient with it. This was the first time I've made risotto when it wasn't still at least a little crunchy in the middle.

2 comments:

Nancy Ferguson said...

Hey Katie,
I only tried to make risotto once and it was a disaster. I'm impressed and would like to learn!

Asiago is oh so tasty but sort of strong. I think I usually want less than the recipe calls for, too.

Bobby made an amazing risotto with gorganzola and walnuts!

N

KV said...

ooo, that sounds delicious. Bobby, care to share the recipe?