Saturday, January 24, 2009

Buttered turnips

Ok, just hear me out. This was from Alice Waters' Simple Food cookbook, and I actually really liked them. I've never had turnips before, but now I can't get enough.

Alls you do is cut some turnips up into pieces, however big you want (if they're small turnips you can leave the skin on, but otherwise you should peel them), then put them in a pot over medium to low heat with some butter or olive oil and salt. Put the lid on the pot and let them steam themselves (they have a high moisture content) until tender. I like to let some of the cut sides caramelize a little but turning up the heat just a tad. And that's it! They come out tasting like sweet potatoes (not "sweet potatoes" but like potatoes that are sweet, if that makes sense) and are a litle more moist. Try them before you scoff! I first made them a few weeks ago and haven't posted them yet just to make sure I wasn't delusional the first time, but no! I do, I do like them, Sam I am, I like green eggs and ham..or, er, turnips. (I went to a party last week with lots of kids, and they kept asking me read Dr. Seuss books. Green eggs and ham has been in my brain a lot this week.)

Now, does anyone know what to do with parsnips? They're next on the winter vegetable list.

No comments: