I saw this soup in an Epicurious email I got (on the website
here), and decided to try it. The recipe is originally from Bon Appetit. I followed some of the comments on the website and also added a pinch of ginger and a bit of cumin. I think I might have used more chard than called for, but that's ok with me. And I also threw in the stems as someone suggested, just did it earlier than the leaves so they had time to soften. I also used half red Swiss chard, and half white, which was fine. Mine turned out very thick, closer to a stew or dal. You could add more broth to make it more soupy. I have had it with brown basmati rice, which is a nice complement. The best part is it's really quick, and it only gets better as it sits in the fridge.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 5 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 1 large bunch or 2 small bunches Swiss chard, tough stalks removed, coarsely chopped (about 12 cups)
- 1 pound red lentils (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- Plain yogurt
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until golden, about 13 minutes. Mix in curry and cayenne. Add broth and chard. Increase heat; bring to boil. Add lentils and garbanzos; reduce heat to medium.
Cover; simmer until lentils are tender, stirring twice, about 10 minutes. Divide stew among bowls. Top with yogurt.
No comments:
Post a Comment