Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bok Choy

It was way too hot* to stand over a hot stove, but I had to use up some bok choy I got at the market LAST Saturday. This turned out really well, I'll definitely make it again. I added some red pepper flakes. Supposedly, this is from Mark Bittman, but I just got the recipe from some yahoo on the Google, so who knows. It seemed simple enough, so I decided to try it.

*Uh, relatively speaking. I'm fully aware that many of you currently gripped in a month long heat wave would laugh at me for this. It was about 77 inside,** but I didn't want to turn on the A/C because it's so nice and breezy out, and the house has been closed up tight for days due to rain every day. So it was too warm inside to be cooking comfortably, really. I swear. The irony is that the lower level of our bi-level is about 10 degrees cooler. When you're standing at the front door you can feel the cold radiating up as if from some sort of underground catacombs. Chris is down there watching TV bundled up in a blanket. If only the kitchen were downstairs. Hmmm....

**Yes, I'm bragging just a little bit about the summer being so nice here. Hey, we suffered through months of below zero temps for this glorious weather. Harper had to wear a coat all winter, and next year we'll have to try getting her to submit to the winter booties. I think we earned a pleasant summer, no?

Ingredients
1 T sesame oil
1 T garlic minced
1/2 large onion
2 t ground ginger
1 head bok choy
1 t stock,chicken,concentrated
1 c water
1 T soy sauce

Directions

1. Heat oil in wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 15 seconds.
3. Add onion and cook for another 30 seconds.
4. Add bok choy and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
5. Add chicken stock concentrate dissolved in boiling water.
6. Cook over medium high heat til sauce is reduced and bok choy is tender, stirring frequently.
7. When liquid is almost gone, add soy sauce, toss, and turn off heat.
8. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: