Summary:
The banana and peanut butter flavors in this creamy oatmeal are quite subtle. It tastes even better the next day, so you might want to make a double batch and keep it in the refrigerator; reheat with a little extra milk.
2 to 3 servings
Ingredients:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal (do not use quick-cooking or instant)
- 2 1/3 cups water
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 banana, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter
Combine the oatmeal, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring, over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until thickened and creamy. Add the peanut butter, banana, milk and butter; mix gently to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Divide among individual bowls and serve hot.
Results:
There's already a chill in the air here in the Great Northwoods. The mornings have been brisk, to say the least, and as I don't have to be anywhere today until 9:30, I thought I'd make myself a nice hot breakfast. Peanut butter and banana are in my top most favorite flavor combinations of all time, but I was a little disappointed. They're definitely "subtle," as the recipe claims, in this dish. I kicked it up by adding a little bit of homemade jam that my friend Sally gave me. And it is certainly creamy. I'm not sure how necessary the butter is, I bet you can leave that out.
Addendum:
Having gotten to the end of the bowl, I'm not sure I'd make this again. It was just TOO creamy, if that's possible, and not quite to my taste. But you might like it. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment