Friday, December 17, 2010

Tahini Collard Greens

Serves four and prepared in 20 minutes
  • 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil-I used 2 tbs olive oil and 2 tbs bacon fat
  • 1 Tbs. chopped fresh garlic or more to taste
  • 1 Lb. Fresh Kale or other dark green leafy vegetable, cleaned with large stems and veins removed and roughly chopped. Pat dry after rinsing.
  • 1/2 Cup or more chicken stock or other healthy stock such as vegetable or beef marrow stock.
  • 3 Tbs. Tahini
  • Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
  • 2 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice.
  • Chopped fresh tomato for garnish (optional)
  1. In a large dutch oven or deep covered skillet with a lid, heat oil on medium high until hot. Drop in the garlic and sautee for a few minutes until golden brown.
  2. Add the kale and press down and toss to coat with oil. Add in the stock, tahini, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and cover to cook until the greens are wilted and tender, which should take about 5 minutes.
  3. Uncover and continue cooking on a lower heat, stirring frequently until the greens are very tender, which should take about 5 more minutes. If you need to add more stock to prevent the greens drying out, do so, but you do not want to over do it.
  4. Remove the greens from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, tossing well to distribute. Taste the greens and adjust the seasoning to your liking. Garnish with fresh tomato and serve over rice hot, warm or at room temperature.
RESULTS:
This tasted exactly like it seems like it would taste. (I don't know why I sometimes think some recipes will end up tasting like something other than the sum of their parts, especially when there's no baking involved). I mean, it was really good and very filling, and I fully intend to make the variations (one of which is peanut butter, lime juice and ginger instead of tahini and lemon juice), but it tasted just like collards with tahini. You can also use broccoli raab (which, thanks to The Office, I can no longer say without giggling), beet greens, dandelion or turnip greens, chard, bok choy, tatsoi, cabbage, spinach, or something called gai lan.

No comments: