- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup mixed nuts and seeds (like sunflower seeds, chopped walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews, sesame seeds, etc.)
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, optional
1/3 cup raisins or chopped dried fruit - 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
- Dash salt
- 3 cups yogurt, plus more for garnish
Time: 10 minutes, plus time to chill
Serving Size
4 servings
Results
Tastes about like what you would expect: oatmeal that's been soaking in yogurt overnight--which is to say, it tasted pretty good. It's great for a quick breakfast on the go, which I'm trying to get more used to doing instead of waiting until getting to work to microwave some oatmeal (that's just too long to wait for breakfast, I think). I might try making up a few dry portions of this at the beginning of the work week in tupperware or corningware (with lids) and then just adding the yogurt the night before I want to have one for breakfast, that seems like it would work great. My one sad face about this is that with my usual hot oatmeal, I don't tend to use all that much dried fruit (more expensive, more sugar, than fresh fruit). I rely more on apples or applesauce, bananas, and fresh or frozen berries. The apples would brown if they were left cut up overnight, I would think, and I'm not sure if the frozen berries would defrost without making the whole thing a watery mess. More research is needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment