Ingredients
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, or more to taste
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half of dough for bottom crust. Fit into an 11-inch pie plate. Trim pastry using scissors or a sharp paring knife, and chill. Keep remaining half of dough, which will be used to make the lattice, refrigerated and wrapped in plastic. - Combine rhubarb and raspberries in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar, flour, and lemon juice. Toss gently so as not to break raspberries. Spoon into pie shell, and dot with butter. Refrigerate while preparing lattice top.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and heavy cream, whisking lightly; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining piece of dough for lattice, and cut it into 1-inch strips. Weave strips together over filling, and place an extra strip or two along the edge, where the bottom crust joins the lattice top; press this strip with tines of a fork to seal well. Brush lattice and all pastry edges with egg glaze, sprinkle top with sugar, and place pie on a parchment paper's lined baking sheet.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown and juices in center of pie are bubbling, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving.
Tiff, this is for you! I made this for a backyard bbq that was tons of fun, even when torrential rain drove us inside. last I heard it was 4 inches in 2 hours! Chris and I saw Noah and his ark on the way home on Clairemont, he was stopping to assist the passengers of a car that stalled out. Anyway, back to the food. I sort of followed this recipe. I used the full Pate Braise recipe for the pie crust. I think the filling is variable, I used it mostly as a guide to sugar amounts, cooking time and temp, and "total fruit volume." I only had about 1 cup of raspberries, so I made the rest up with more rhubarb. Briefly considered using some of the farmer's market strawberries I brought home that morning, but decided that would be a waste of amazing strawberries. I also wondered what blueberries would taste like in there. Anyway, after consulting my Flavor Bible, I discovered that rhubarb also loves vanilla and ground ginger, so I put a splash and a pinch of both in, respectively. Next time I might make it two splashes and two pinches. I completely forgot about doing the cream and egg wash, as I usually do. Despite that, the pie turned out great, especially with some friends' homemade buttermilk lemon sorbet.
No comments:
Post a Comment