Friday, July 8, 2011

Double Nutella Kulfi (basically, Indian-style ice cream)

From this website, sent to me by my friend Aimee. The pictures are helpful.

serves 8, in conical kulfi moulds 9 cm high

Ingredients
  • 300 ml of fresh cream to whip
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 275 ml of evaporated milk (I used full fat, but if you try this with low fat, let me know how it goes)
  • 250 gms Nutella (or or taste) plus 4 tbsp melted Nutella in 1 tbsp of hot milk to drizzle

Directions
  1. Whip cream and sugar together to stick peaks
  2. Stir in Nutella and evaporated milk. You'll lose your peaks and it'll look foamy.
  3. Pour into Indian Kulfi molds, yogurt containers, ramekins, or anything else. If you don't use the kulfi molds, put plastic wrap over the containers and press against the cream so you don't get ice crystals.
  4. Freeze overnight
  5. Before serving, top with 4 Tbsp melted Nutella mixed with hot milk. Toasted hazelnuts are also good.
Results
I made this for my birthday yesterday. I actually halved the recipe (which was difficult considering I was also doing ml to oz conversions--I gave up on trying to figure out how much Nutella to put it), which I decided is more like frozen mousse than ice cream, although it's close enough to ice cream that one wonders why anyone would ever need ice cream. It turned out VERY rich, Chris and I together couldn't finish half a serving. I wonder if a lighter evaporated milk would help, but then I also wonder what that would do to the consistency of the finished product. Let me know if you try it. In the future, I think I'm not going to worry as much as I did about getting the Nutella completely mixed in. It's impossible to do, for one thing. For another, the parts that didn't get mixed in ended up being really delightful crunchy bits in the ice cream. All in all, really easy, really good, and really rich, and no special equipment required.

No comments: