Sunday, August 7, 2011

Taco seasoning

Plan A was to grill some hamburgers, but the big black rainclouds made us think better. I was out walking Harper before the rain started, and I promise you the temperature dropped 5 degrees in the span of a minute. Anyway, Plan B was then to make tacos, but upon arriving home from the store we realized we forgot taco seasoning (in addition to whole wheat flour and I'm sure a dozen other things that I meant to put on the list but didn't). Like the good husband to a mother-to-be that he is, Chris was all prepared to go back out in the storm to get some, but then, Internet to the rescue! I found the following on allrecipes.com. We think this recipe makes the equivilent of one taco seasoning packet. After you drain the fat from the browned meat and sprinkle this on (start with half and then work up to all of it, just in case it's too spicy), add about 2/3 cup of cold water with a little corn starch (I don't know, somewhere around half a teaspoon to a teaspoon?) dissolved in the water and let the water cook down.
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I would ease up on this a bit and only add more if you think you need it)
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

No comments: