Thursday, November 10, 2011

Broiled Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnuts

From Mark Bittman's blog

Heat the broiler. Trim about a pound of Brussels sprouts and pulse in a food processor—or use a knife—to chop them up a bit. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with two tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss. Broil the sprouts for about five minutes, until browning on the edges. Meanwhile pulse a handful of hazelnuts (or chop them). Shake the pan to flip the sprouts, add the nuts and broil for another three minutes. Sprinkle with freshly squeezed lemon juice and plenty of fresh parsley.

RESULTS: 
this was really good, and just a hair easier than the other Brussels sprout recipe I dig. Just be careful that brown on the edges doesn't turn into black all over--I had mine on the low broil setting and they charred pretty quick on the top rack. Next time, I'll be careful to only put them on the top rack for a minute or so, and then one rung below after that, especially after the nuts (I used walnuts) are added. To turn it into a full lunch, I tossed the sprouts with pasta, a little more oil, lemon juice, and some cheese (feta and parmesan). Yum! The pan didn't even need too much cleaning. Easy peasy.

No comments: