Thursday, February 21, 2008

Dela-WHERE?

I made the startling, nay, astonishing discovery today that the average WELL EDUCATED midwesterner, when asked, thinks that Delaware is somewhere up by Vermont, if not immediately adjacent to it (although they correctly know where Vermont it). Knowledge base is limited to the brief mention of Delaware in Wayne's World. The average midwesterner also doesn't know that there are beaches in Delaware. When I said that the DE beaches are where people from DC go to for vacation, the immediate assumption was a beach full of senators and congressmen, which also tells me that the average midwesterner believes that the only people living in and around DC are senators and congressmen. Sample size: 4 (natives of TX, KY, WI and IN).

This is interesting considering that most east coasters that I've talked to who haven't really traveled beyond WV can more or less tell you where the states are in relation to one another, but the have a skewed sense of distance in the midwest, myself included a few years ago. For example, Beth came to visit me and Chris a few years ago in Indiana and asked that we "drop her off" in Chicago. She thought Chicago was only an hour away! I explained that, in fact, the airport where I would be picking her up was an hour away, but Chicago (and especially Northwestern, where she was going) was really more like 5 hours away. Example 2: Ian's friend from Texas has a conference in Iowa and asked to stay with him while she was going to this conference. He explained she was welcome to stay, but she might have to get up earlier in the morning than she thought she would to make it there on time.

5 comments:

Chris Ferguson said...

East coast people definately don't have a "general idea" of where the states are in the west midwest. I would challenge the average mid-atlantic type (including you) to correctly label nebraska, kansas, iowa, the dakotas, colorado, wyoming, indiana, illinois and would be willing to put large money on there being mistakes.

KV said...

Oh, now, getting Wyoming and Colorado mixed up is not the same as putting Delaware up by Vermont!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

oh yeah, Chris (or David...I'm on to you) I challenge YOU to correctly label all the states in New England. What do you think about that! (of course, I'm only saying this because I have no idea what the state of Wyoming looks like...it's called "deflection.")
-Bethie

milwaukeeclassic said...

Midwesterners are way better than coasties...and Delaware is only good for paying tolls to traverse the state :)