Thursday, October 30, 2008

Butter Rum Pound Cake

From Cooking Light:


Butter, a classic ingredient in pound cake, contributes to the flavor and tender texture of this dense, rich dessert. Slices of leftover cake are good toasted and garnished with fresh fruit.

Yield
12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Ingredients
Cake:
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1/2 cup spiced rum (such as Captain Morgan's)

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons spiced rum (such as Captain Morgan's)

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare cake, coat an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray; dust with 2 tablespoons flour.
Lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk until blended.
Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and 1/2 cup rum alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Run a knife around edges of pan; remove cake from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons rum, stirring until smooth. Drizzle glaze over the cake.

RESULTS: I was a bit distracted when I was making this the other night because "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" was on TV, and I put in 1/2 lb of butter instead of 1/2 c. For those of you keeping score, that's twice as much. I didn't realize I had put too much in until I was lying in bed, calculating the tablespoons of butter per serving of my nice golden brown (and delicious) pound cake cooking on the counter, thinking to myself, how on earth was that in Cooking Light? And then I realized. Sigh! Chris figured that probably brought the butter content up to about what a normal pound cake is. So much for being healthy.

That said, a few of the reviewers online were disappointed that they could neither taste the butter nor the rum. I had no trouble with tasting the butter. I was a little worried about the rum because the recipe called for spiced rum and all we had was dark rum, but I thought it came through, albeit mostly in the icing. So, I can't speak for the actual recipe tasting good, but the pound cake I made tasted REALLY good.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Did it taste as good as Great-Uncle Joe's rum cake (as in, did your mouth go numb after taking a bite)

KV said...

I don't remember Uncle Joe's rum cake, possibly for that reason. No, the rum wasn't overwhelming, it was more of an accent flavor/smell.