Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Stress

Thanksgiving, on a whole, went swimmingly. I woke up refreshed with plenty of time to start the dough for the rolls, which rose while I took Harper for a nice long walk so she'd be well behaved at dinner. The nuts were easy, I got the turkey out of the fridge and prepped. The hardest part was trying to get the turkey holes closed up, I didn't have enough skin to close the big stuffing whole, but I just ended up cutting a piece off the neck and using that.

Yep, everything was going so well, and the turkey was ready to go in the oven at 3 o'clock, right on schedule... except then the roasting pan would not fit in the oven. The handles--I had made sure to get good, study, riveted handles that could not ever be removed, even on purpose--stuck out too far. In all my careful, month-long research for a roasting pan, I never bothered to think, oh, my oven is only a 3/4-sized oven, I should make sure the pan fits... Sigh. The roasting rack itself was far too large to fit in any of our other pans, so at 3:10 I rushed out to find a replacement, only to discover that just about every store I went to -- the grocery stores, Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, etc -- closed at 3 o'clock, if not all day. I was beginning to see why people ate thanksgiving dinner so early in the day, so that when disaster strikes there's still a store open! I ended up driving until I saw a store with cars in the parking lot, which turned out to be a CVS. Got an enchilada pan there, but I was worried that it wouldn't be big enough, and then I found that the Kmart was still open, where I got one of those disposable foil pans. Which is a good thing, since the enchilada pan wasn't big enough.

Anyway, after I got back and my blood pressure returned to normal, Chris had the table all nicely laid out and I got the turkey in the oven (an hour late, but that's ok), but I was done with any sort of higher-level thought processes. I just changed my clothes, got a glass of wine, watched some really annoying football as stupid Jason Witten (my current most-hated cowboy) proceeded to single-handedly pulverise the Seahawks, then turned that off and chatted with Chris and Pete for a while.

The worst are the announcers, who seem to think Jason Witten can play every position. Oh, look at that long ball that Jason Witten, a mere tight end, just caught with his teeth! Oh, it's amazing how fast he is, despite being an every-down player! Oh, Jason Witten such a good down-hill runner! Oh, Jason Witten just kicked a game-winning field goal from 60 yards, and he blocks, too! Oh, Jason Witten's so selfless, he refused a bonus this year so the mascot could get one! Jason Witten's got Hall of Fame written all over him, the only question is for which position?! Oh, did you hear about Jason Witten's plan for peace in the Middle East, and in his spare time he's saving the whales! I hate Jason Witten.

Other than that one hiccup (well, two if you count the Cowboys winning), I think everything went really well, and we had a really fun time. So, success!

No comments: