Saturday, November 29, 2008

Union Square Cafe bar nuts mix

I got this recipe off of a chat transcript for the Washington Post food section.

1-1/4 pounds mixed raw nuts, toasted for 10 minutes at 350. Toss with 2 teaspoons brown sugar, two teaspoons kosher salt, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, two tablespoons chopped rosemary and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Serve warm. (Though cold is fine too.)

RESULTS: Whoa, way too spicy. The problem was the cayenne clumped, so some nuts were very coated with it, and some had barely a hint of spice. I would still halve the spice, myself, but it's totally variable. Otherwise, they were really good, I really liked the sweet, salty, rosemary mix. It was a lot like what I was trying to do a couple months ago; I got a recipe from a friend, who got it from her mom, for rosemary nuts, but her recipe called for mixing all the ingredients and THEN putting it in the oven, which was disasterous since the suger burned, the kitchen (well, the whole house, really) filled with the worst smoke, EVERY smoke alarm was going off,... not good. I would recommend this method instead. I didn't do a post on that other recipe because there was really no finished product to evaluate.

The rosemary is much better fresh (I dried both fresh and dried and the fresh is better). As for what nuts to use, I used cashews, walnuts and pecans. The cashews weren't the best in the mix, they really didn't take on much of the flavor. The pecans came in second place, but the walnuts really worked well. I think peanuts could be good? Maybe almonds? I don't think I'd use cashews again, though. I think they just have so much flavor to begin with, and with the smooth outside of the nut, there's nothing for the spices to settle into. Either way, thumbs up on this one (if with less spice).

No comments: