From Alice Waters' book.
Soak 1 cup white beans (cannelli, great northern, navy, etc) overnight in 4 cups of water
Drain and transfer to a heavy pot. Add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Lower the hear and skim off any foam. Simmer gently for 2 hours or so, until beans are tender (not in the least bit crunchy!). Add more water if necessary during the cooking. Let cool in the pot and then drain and season to taste with salt.
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan or skillet, warm over low heat : 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil. Add 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped and 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped rosemary leaves.
Cook until the garlic is soft, about 2 minutes. Stir into the beans, taste for salt and adjust. Let the dish sit before serving to allow flavors to marry.
RESULTS: This dish seems to be all aroma. Between the rosemary and the garlic, it just smelled wonderful, so much so that the next day when I brought some to work and heated it up in the microwave I had quite a few people who came to see what I made. It didn't have quite as much flavor, but the little it had was pretty good.
In other news, the crocuses are blooming! We're expecting high 60s and low 70s(!) for the weekend, so I'll bet we'll have a ton by Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment