Friday, January 22, 2010

Candlelit snowshoe hike... but no.

So Chris was out of town last weekend, but there was a candlelit snowshoe walk at a nearby reserve that I REALLY wanted to go to. My spidey-sense was warning me about the idea of going snowshoeing by myself in the woods, in the dark, but I thought that if there were enough people who go to these things, then I wouldn't have to worry about creepy/dangerous men too much. After all, if it was shoe-to-shoe crowded, what could happen?

So I asked Betty, a woman I work with who loves to snowshoe, if she had been to these things before. She said she hadn't, but I asked her anyway if she thought it would be a problem if I went by myself. She started telling me a story about how she went walking through her property alone one night tracking a deer that her husband had shot, when she suddenly realized how stupid she was being.... because there are so many coyotes around. Now, I hadn't even considered coyotes as being a problem. Betty directed me to Randy, who had been to the reserve for a nighttime snowshoe, to ask him if he thought I should worry about coyotes.

Well, I asked Randy what he thought about a woman going alone, and he initially said he thought it would be fine... but, oh wait, there's that wolf pack in the area!!!

Needless to say, I didn't go. Next thing people would be talking about cougars or bears or something. I'll just wait and go sometime with my nice tall non-bite-sized husband.

No comments: