Sunday, March 21, 2010

Kale Crisps with vinegar

I may be obsessed.
  • 1 bunch Organic Kale
  • 2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Vinegar, Apple Cider or Balsamic
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp Salt, kosher or sea salt
  1. preheat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Rinse kale and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut off stems and tear leafs off of the rib. Throw away the center rib pieces and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl whisk together oil, vinegar and salt and add the Kale. Gently toss.
  4. Put parchment paper on two baking sheets and divide kale among them. Bake for 15-17 minutes until crispy. (I would say less time, say 13 minutes.)
RESULTS: I baked the previous batch of kale chips on a silicone mat, even though the recipe said to use parchment paper. I didn't quite get the desired cripsiness, they seemed to get moer shriveled than crisp, and at the time I wondered if it could have been the fault of the mat-for-paper substitution. This time, in the interest of science (and because one of my mats was being used for soda bread and I didn't have enough parchment paper for two sheets), I decided to line one sheet with paper and one with the mat. First I have to say that, regardless of which one you use, PLEASE stand back when you open the oven. This recipe had vinegar in it and vaporized vinegar pouring out with the steam when you open the oven is not pleasant on the eyes. Trust me.

Anyway, there was a real difference. The silicone chips were simultaneously crispy and soggy. It's hard to explain. But the paper must absorb the moisture as the kale bakes, so the parchment ones didn't have any moisture clinging to them. On the other hand, some of the parchment crisps were boarder-line burnt. So that's why I would recommend a shorter time.

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the vinegar. It's not bad, but it didn't do a whole lot for me. I guess it depends on your feelings about vinegar. It might also still be a bit salty for my taste. They're still less salty than potato chips, but saltier than I would normally eat kale. My tongue is confused.

K, I didn't eat all of these right away, so I put some in a tupperware just to see what would happen. I tested after a couple hours, and they were soggy already. So I would say no to the tupperware, but I'm not sure how to store leftovers. Let me know if you figure anything out.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

thanks for testing out the shelf-life! i haven't tried them yet, but one day i will!! yeah!

Em-Dash said...

Can you photograph these chips? I don't have kale here, but I'm REALLY curious. I'm having trouble visualizing them.

Haven't tried the butter chicken yet. Don't worry, I'll tell you when I do. Maybe a guest post?