Yield
Makes two 8- to 10-inch single-crust pies or one 8- to 10-inch double-crust pie
Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor, and process for a few seconds to combine. Add the butter, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With the machine running, add the ice water in a slow, steady stream, through the feed tube, just until the dough holds together. Do not process for more than 30 seconds.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Divide in two. Place each half on a sheet of plastic wrap. Flatten, and form two discs. Wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.
I'm pretty sure that Pate Brisee is French for "pie dough." I haven't cooked the crust yet, but the dough itself tastes just like pie dough made with butter. :) This recipe finally prompted me to confront the food processor that I've been wanting for years and finally got for Christmas (thank you!!) but have been too intimidated by to move out of the store room, let alone take out of the box. Let me tell you, that was some wasted 6 months. It's an amazing machine. I just need to find space for it in the kitchen. Some of you might know this, but I used to be really good at making pie crust. I proved the saying "easy as pie." And then I went to college and somehow my pie crust making abilities got smooshed out by philosophy class. So I haven't made much pie since then, but I think this might turn it around. Stay turned for finished pie results....
No comments:
Post a Comment