I was a little worried that all the free apples I've been getting from co-workers and from Tiffany and her dad's "hobby" orchard would endanger my marriage. Chris has been beyond patient with the pounds and pounds of apples that I've turned into quarts and quarts of apple sauce, butter, and pie filling. However, since he brought home a good-sized bags of apples courtesy of his chair earlier this week, I'm a little less worried about it. Regardless, we still have to figure out how to eat them, and I've already got more applesauce saved up for the transition to solid foods than any baby could possibly eat, and I think my freezer is holding more apple butter than I've eaten in my entire life put together.
If you have free apples coming out your ears like we do (LOVING living in northern Wisconsin... never in my life have I gotten so many free apples, tomatoes, and strawberries, which also happen to be my all-time most favorite produces), then you'll join me in thanks to Mark Bittman for an apple matrix. For lunch today I made the apple and brussels sprouts. Pretty easy, although I missed the delicious golden crust that sauteed brussels sprouts get. Next time I think I'll put those in first, cook for a bit with the lid off, then throw the apples and the rest in. I also tossed in some fresh cranberries for good measure, which I think was really worth it.
Next time: Apples and poppyseeds... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment