Friday, October 7, 2011

Crock pot apple butter

  • 5 1/2 lbs apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped (or, leave the peel on if you're going to be using a blender at the end, not a whisk, to smooth it out. I used a food processor grater to finely chop them)
  • 2-4 cups sugar
  • 2 -3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:


  1. Combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt in the slow cooker. Mix.
  2. Place in crock pot, cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Stir every so often to mix in the sugar and spices.
  3. Decrease heat to low; cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown. Stir occasionally.
  4. Uncover and cook on low for 1 hour longer.
  5. Whisk until smooth, or use an immersion blender if you left the peels on.
  6. Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
  7. Cover and freeze.
RESULTS:
This is from http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-apple-butter-93886. I changed the original recipe a lot based on the comments, and I agree with them that the taste of the apples should determine how much sugar you use. I used milder apples, and I probably put in about 3 cups of sugar. I might add more before I put it into jars, I haven't decided yet. (I'm making a second batch with some other apples, and I'm going to combine the two and see what I think then.) Some people processed their jars in a boiling water canner, but I'm not willing to do that without an expert telling me exactly how long it should be processed.  The big oops that I did was to add some allspice, thinking that would be awesome. It's not bad, but I wish I hadn't added it. You can always add more spices after it's finished it you want.

No comments: