Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Today's lessons:

1) premade dried gnocchi in a box, though better than mine and infinitely easier to make, is still not as good as I remember. Here's hoping Carey has some luck with gluten and Martha!
2) If you put a spoonful of tomato paste in a sauce towards the end of the sauteing the aromatics (garlic and onion) stage, it adds a really nice smoky hint as the paste cooks in the olive oil.
3) gnocchi stays much hotter in the middle than pasta does, even when the outside is cool to touch.
4) it is very possible to burn the roof of your mouth so badly it blisters in many places.

Here's hoping tomorrow's lessons are easier. :)

2 comments:

Dave & Kathy Ferguson said...

Dear KVF, I have confronted the hard lesson of #4, especially with the melted cheese of pizza, but I'm jolly glad to know about #s1,2, and 3. Keep up the good work. Love from jdf

Carey said...

I will often burn my mouth on pizza as well, even when I think it is cool enough to eat. I am going to try the gnocchi on Saturday. The key seems to be not to work the dough too much. Martha suggests having a marble table to work as well, but I don't have one of those. Hint #2 is a good one, wish I could put onions in my sauce (Duane no-no).