I tried replacing the oil with plain low-fat yogurt in the final step of making the friendship bread. I chickened out as I glopped the yogurt into the measuring cup, so I actually only replaced about 2/3 of a cup of the oil with yogurt. An informal poll said there was no difference in flavor or texture, so I think it would be safe to replace all the oil in that last step. I feel a lot better about the whole friendship bread enterprise, making it a little healtier with the whole wheat flour and the yogurt. Next step: cutting back on the sugar. I might try it with zucchini once that all starts coming in.
Here's a quick fact sheet for oil substitutions. I have a lot of recipes that call for heavy cream, so I might try that skim milk and cornstarch one....
No comments:
Post a Comment