Suz had me over for high tea a couple months ago and we made scones. I thought I'd make them for breakfast this morning for Syd and Jan. This is another from Mary Jo's cookbook.
8 oz (1 3/4 c) flour
1 TBS sugar
scant 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
3 Tbs unsalted butter
1 egg
3.5 oz (1/2 c minus 1 Tbs) milk
1/4 c raisins (optional)
1 Tbs sugar fro sprinkling.
Preheat over in 450. Have ready a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon sheet.
Beat egg. Remove one Tbs and save for egg wash. Whisk milk into remaining egg.
Sift together four, 1 Tbs sugar, salt, and baking powder. Cut butter into slices and rub into flour with fingertips.
Make a well in dry ingredients and add milk mixture. Mix together with your hand, and sprinkle in rasins. Once it's thoroughly moistened, scrape dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead lightly, 3 or 4 times. Pat or roll into a circle 3/4 inch think. Cut into seven 1/2-inch scones. Place on baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 15 minutes until lightly brown. Serve butter and jam or whipped cream. May be frozen and reheated.
RESULTS: These weren't as light and fluffy as Suz's, and I think it's because I forgot the butter and also warmed it up too much in the microwave, so by the time I got to it, the milk was already mixed into the flour, and I couldn't rub it in anyway because it was melted. But, it tasted fine, and wasn't chip-you-teeth hard.
1 comment:
Katie,
Just wanted to tell you (now that Chris has helped me remember how to sign on) that I thought your scones were REALLY yummy!! Thanks for baking them for us! We had a really great visit & were so happy to have a chance to see you both while Syd was here.
Love, J
Post a Comment