Sunday, June 1, 2008

Rant for the week: 365 songs of the century? I think not.

This is the most ridiculous ranking I've ever seen. Any list that would put "Somewhere over the Rainbow" 364 spots above Hendrix's Watchtower (his only song listed, by the way), and choose "I wanna hold your hand" as the Beatles best song, doesn't hold water with me. Granted, I'm not the biggest Beatles fan, but that doesn't mean I know that's not: 1) their best, 2) their most widely covered, 3) their most popular, or 4) their most important song. The voters were supposed to keep historical significance in mind, fair enough, but what sort of historical significance does Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer have that justifies it at 31? Popular song for two months a year, sure, but that doesn't mean it's great. And if you're talking about historical significance, why "Men in Black" by Will Smith? Come on. "I believe I can fly," i.e. the theme to Space Jam, more than 100 spots ABOVE Watchtower?!?!?!!? Only TWO ELVIS SONGS!!!! I need to stop reading these ranking things.

No comments: