Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Variations on Greek Lemon Chicken soup
I'm going to add these to the original post as "variations" at the bottom (idea stolen from Alice Waters), but I thought I'd also point one out in a post. I hate when a recipe calls for only the yolks or only the whites, because then I have half an egg, or many eggs, in the fridge. Because these recipes generally demand more work than normal ones, I usually don't feel like cooking anything for a few days, and by then the half eggs would probably be better off not used. Such was the predicatment with the Greek Lemon Chicken Soup. But no longer! I found a really neat way to use the white. So, with the yolk you want to temper it so it mixes into the broth without scrambling. I thought it would be neat to then add the white, but without tempering and actually scrambling it on purpose by stirring, like in egg drop soup. It WAS neat! And, it adds protein. Hurray!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Kates, my mom has a great recipe for egg whites - meringue cookies. They're super easy and really good. I'll get you the recipe.
What does "temper" mean?
Oo, tempering is one of my favorite things that I learned from the food network. So, you got yer egg and you want to add it to some hot liquid to make a sauce or custard or eggnog or something. If you add the egg right away, it'll scramble because the temperature of the egg is way different than the temperature of the hot liquid. So, you add a little of the hot liquid to the egg in a bowl, mix that together, and keep doing that until the temperature of the egg is brought up closer to the temperature of the liquid, and then you can mix it all together without the egg scrambling. This explains it a little better: http://www.ochef.com/335.htm
Awesome. Thanks!
Post a Comment