Sunday, February 14, 2010

Candlelit snowshoeing...finally!

Chris and I finally went snowshoeing by candlelight after meaning to go several times this winter. It was about 20 minutes outside of Eau Claire at a nature preserve. Between chilly temps and the new moon the sky was incredibly clear, and I can't remember when, if ever, I'd see so many stars. We were all bundled up so we didn't feel the cold, and almost everyone we passed remarked at what a perfect night it was for 'shoeing. The bonfire at the end of the trail was very welcome, though.

We saw a couple tribes of children. They must have been either scout troops or a couple really ambitious parents rounded up their children's friends to go. Personally, I would have been terrified of losing one of them, but they were mostly well behaved, if a little loud. I was generally impressed that these kids got out there at all and weren't grousing about being cold.

This was the same place where I had been cautioned by my co-workers about coyotes and wolves if I went by myself. In retrospect, I think that was probably a small concern for this night event because the loop was so close to the visitor's center and there were a fair amount of people there. However, I am glad I didn't go by myself, it was far too romantic (other than the yelling children).

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Oh I'm so glad you guys got to go! So fun. What a fun thing to do on Valentine's day weekend. Hope we can join you sometime soon.