Lately I've been really into making a warm spinach salad based on the recipe for Warm Spicy Greens with Bacon and Eggs in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, which is a great cookbook, by the way. But I think you could basically make it anyway you want, so I'm not going to type up the recipe, I'll just give you the basics.
Warm some olive oil in a skillet and saute, brown, toast or otherwise cook whatever in the salad (other than the egg) that needs to be cooked. I've been doing some onions and chopped almonds. Bittman does bacon and shallots. I've also thrown some dried fruit in the skillet in the end to warm them up, and I tried a segmented orange at the VERY end. I think the important thing is to remember cooking times. Onion takes longer to cook and is less likely to suddenly burn on you than almonds, so put the onions in first and get those almost done, then throw in the almonds. You're on your own with the bacon, I've never been good at that.
Make the dressing by putting in the skillet whatever you want, in addition to the olive oil. I've been using dijon mustard and red wine vinegar (and salt and pepper). Be careful not to have the skillet too hot, or the mustard will do weird stuff. Low to medium-low is good.
Mix in the greens, either by throwing them in the skillet and tossing it there or by pouring the dressing over the greens in the bowl. I like spinach slightly wilted much better than raw, so I've been mixing it in the skillet and letting it sit for a little bit.
Top with a poached egg or a medium-boiled egg.
This really hits the spot when I get home from swimming laps at the gym.
No comments:
Post a Comment