I can tell you without irony that this post will change your life (unless you don't eat pasta). I came across
this examination of the techniques behind cooking pasta that doesn't require a rolling boil. I had my doubts, but tried it last night and it absolutely worked. I can't tell you how much of a pain it has been making pasta on an electric stove, because if I had the pasta on at high, it was really hard to get the other burners up to speed. No more!
3 comments:
You do realize that for about 10 years now you've been mocking me when I put the pasta in before it's at a rolling boil, right?
I feel very vindicated.
I also think this is better for more delicate pastas like ravioli that have a tendency to rupture in a violent boil.
I disagree that this vindicates you. The article made the point that the water has to come up to a full boil. It'll retain that heat long enough with the lid on to cook the pasta. One might argue that water at less than a rolling boil isn't at 212 degrees yet. I'm not saying it won't still work, I'm saying this article doesn't support your claim. We can experiment!
I think you need to borrow my thermodynamics textbook ;)
Post a Comment