Sunday, October 2, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

Kathleen found this recipe on the Fooducate Blog.

Dry ingredients:
  • 2 cups old fashion oats
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Wet ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups sliced fruit
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, or sugar
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray nonstick spray on a 8×8 baking dish (or equivalent). Mix dry ingredients and then mix in wet ingredients. Spoon into pan and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, remove foil, and bake for another 25 minutes until golden brown.

Enjoy hot, cold, or room temperature. If well covered, this will keep in the fridge for one week.

RESULTS: This was a really nice Sunday breakfast, and the leftovers will make a great second breakfast for the rest of the week (infinitely better than the dried-out muffins that show up at work). I used a couple of the amazing apples Tiff gave me from her dad's orchard. I cooked it exactly to the instructions, and I think I could have left it in there a little longer after taking the foil off to get a nice golden crust (my oven seems to run a little cool, though). I drizzled just a little syrup over the top of my piece, because that's how I roll, but it really didn't need the extra sweetness. When Kathleen made it, she thought it was a a bit dry, but she used dried blueberries and coconut as the fruit, which I think would suck up a fair amount of moisture. So maybe if you want to use dried fruit, either let them soak for a while to plump up or add more liquid.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I made this again after having it at your place and used soy yogurt and soy milk and some fresh cranberries and apples and it was DELICIOUS! Way better the second time around. I agree, dried fruit in here is a no-no.