The earthquake this morning was way stronger than either of the ones in Japan. I slept through one of them, and I would have easily slept through the aftershocks if Chris hadn't called to check on me. The other I didn't even feel. I was teaching (and thus, standing up) and my seated students all suddenly looked vaguely startled (that's all you're going to get from Japanese kids during class). Apparently, you don't notice the really little ones if you're standing. I would also like to point out that "earthquake" is another one of those really useful Japanese words that they don't point enough emphasis on in Japanese class. I found that most of the vocab I learned before I left was almost completely useless (for example, "alien"), and I had to pick up everyday language there, "earthquake" and "all-you-can-eat buffet" being two really good examples.
Anyway, this morning I was lying awake in bed and the house started shaking up and down and there was a rumble outside. Nothing was even close to being damaged, but it was still scary. Then Harper sort of meandered in to the bedroom when I called her. Honestly, she doesn't scare the tulip-bulb-stealing squirrels away, and she doesn't warn us of earthquakes, what did we get her for? :)
Not much cooking this week, the weather's been so nice! However, I have some projects brewing. I bought a new cookbook yesterday, and Suz is coming over to watch La Vie En Rose. On the list for this weekend include some french cooking and shortbread cookies (maybe), so stay tuned.
No comments:
Post a Comment