Saturday, April 5, 2008

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentary/17309829.html

For those of you confused by what's going on in Tibet, here's an article written by one of IU's professors. It's definitely an editorial piece, but I think he explains China's position towards the Dalai Lama well.

I had the chance to see the Dalai Lama speak a few months ago when he came to campus. It was in the basketball stadium, and it was filled to the rafters, literally. Everyone was so quiet and respectful during his talk, which was about secular compassion, and how you don't need to be religious to be compassionate (which is a main goal of Buddhism, to have compassion for all things, meaning there's no difference to your ego between yourself and other living things-- I can go into this more if you want, it's sort of a confusing point, but I need to get out the door now for the farmer's market). The only thing that didn't make sense to me was that he said he likes cats more than dogs. No accounting for taste, I guess.

Weirdest weather forecast: freezing fog?!?! This has happened before, everything gets super slick because the water droplets just freeze to every surface imaginable.

No comments: