
So, despite my ranting about Little 5, I did go out last night. My friends have a tradition of meeting at a bar that overlooks the main street from the second story, sort of a safe distance to watch the craziness. I was pokey getting ready to go, and at about 5:30 Suz calls me as I'm brushing my teeth and tells me that she saw Obama walk into Nick's, the restaurant right across the street from the bar they were at (also, Aunt Demmy's favorite from when she was here). I screamed and I think stamped my feet because I was upset that, had I been on time, I would have seen him too. Very sad. Anyway, I'm on the bus, hoping to see him leave Nick's, and the woman in front of me answers her phone. From what I could tell, it might have something to do with Obama at 6, so I'm shamelessly eavesdropping. When she asked her little girl, "can you say Obama?" (she could, many times), I asked her what the scoop was. She said that he would be at the Sample Gates at 6 to give a little wave before heading to Terra Haute to give a speech. This is good because I'd be getting off the bus at the Sample Gates anyway. There's tons of people just standing around, but a discouraging lack of security guards, and I asked around and the general consensus was that he already left town. :( Pooh! Anyway, it was without a doubt the most exciting half hour of the week, and it was fun, even if I didn't get to see him.
The picture is of him signing the wall at Nick's, which is the most famous place in Bloomington (although there was a burger place called Hinkle's that was featured on the Food Network. They put peanut butter on their burgers. But most people in Bloomington have never heard of it, so that doesn't count).
Plan for today includes putting my winter coat back on, because it might snow, and going to the Farmer's Market with Suz and her awesome friend Nichole from CA (Nichole packed well. She brought her winter coat and hat, and also a tank top. She'll need them both this weekend). Then, we're going to make high tea for lunch, complete with scones and cucumber sandwiches. Then I'm heading back over there this evening to play Settlers of Catan. A full day!
No comments:
Post a Comment