I think I've developed a love-hate relationship with lettuce salad. It's cold, hard to eat, it's not very filling or satisfying, and it's essentially a vehicle for salad dressing, which removes basically all the healthfulness of a salad. At the farmer's market last weekend I bought a teeny weeny baby swiss chard, and I'm looking forward to trying that if it EVER decides to grow, but in the meantime I went to Kroger and got some mustard greens. Wowee! I love them! They are HUGELY bitter, and really do taste like mustard, so obviously not for everyone. I never really took to sauteed spinach because it basically turns to green stringy mush, but the mustard greens really held up to sauteing, and they were so much more filling and satisfying to eat, and probably had a lot more vitamins and minerals than Romaine. Cheaper than lettuce, too. All I did was clean them really well by swishing a few leaves at a time in a big bowl of water. I trimmed the stems off by folding the leaves in half lengthwise and then cutting down the length of the stem. I threw them in a saute pan with some olive oil (and garlic?) and salted them, and then just let them cook down until they wilted. I stirred a little bit, too, but that's basically it. Oh, I threw on a little dash of Parmesan cheese, just for kicks. Would also be good with bacon, I imagine.
In other news, I've just about completely lost my voice today. It comes and goes, but mostly goes. The only thing I can think of is this cold I've had. It only hurts a little, but it feels like there's something physically blocking the noise from coming out, even though I know it's just that my voice box is strained. Any suggestions for getting my voice back? It's better for a little bit if I haven't talked for a while, but then once I start talking again I lose it. I know I should just not talk for a while, but I sort of have to for my job and, you know, communicating with fellow humans. Harper knows hand signals.
3 comments:
Katie, I'm glad you are taking on the Arkansas characteristics Chris inherited. My grandmother cooked Mustard greens as you describe--except no effite parmesan(sp.?) cheese you used. They used vinegar instead. I refused to eat it myself, but of course, I was just a kid. Reducing the screaming for Obama in the BB arena might help the voice. D
I was actually very lady-like at the rally, I only clapped. My throat was already hurting a lot by then.
I should try the vinegar, that would cut back on some of the bitterness of the greens. Do you like them now? Chris tried a bite and detested it. Like I said, not for everyone!
Katie, I am much relieved that you were lady-like at the rally, but sorry you are/were suffering. I haven't had any mustard greens since the 1950s or maybe 40s. Remember I married a Yankee girl. I would be glad to try yours, however. I guess Chris takes after his Connecticut mother.
Best to Beth,
Chris' Dad
Post a Comment