Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Spice Cake with... what?

It was my buddy Ross's birthday today, so I made, as per his request, a spice cake with avocado icing. It's green. The spice cake was betty crocker. Here's the avocado icing recipe:

INGREDIENTS
2 avocados, peeled and pitted
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Combine the avocado and lime juice in a bowl; mix with a hand mixer about 2 minutes. Add the sugar in small amounts while continually mixing until smooth. Mix in the vanilla extract.


RESULTS: comments to this recipe noted that they thought it tasted more limey than like avocado, but I couldn't really taste the lime at all. It mostly tasted like sugar with a subtle hint of the creaminess of the avocado. I won't say it was my favorite icing, but it wasn't bad, either. The fat in avocado is supposed to be slightly healthier than the fat in dairy, which is what icing is usually made from I guess, so it's got that going for it. Definitely green. This batch of icing was plenty for a 13X9 sheet cake.

2 comments:

AmyV said...

Katie!! I just caught up with your blogging - it sounds like you are having a yummy summer. Speaking of avocado there is a new gelato place that opened in Bethesda last week and I tried their avocado gelato, which was surprisingly really good & refreshing. Next time you come back to MD, we will have to go! Glad everyone is doing well & hopefully I will see you guys soon :-)

KV said...

Hi Amy! Sounds like a plan! I'm definitely intrigued. Do they have cinnamon gelato? I love cinnamon gelato. I wonder if I could get a scoop of cinnamon and a scoop of avocado....