Thursday, November 12, 2009

Kohlrabi

I've sort of been scared of kohlrabi. It looks scary, it's got an extra h in the word that's just sort of loitering... it's an intimidating vegetable, but it's also one of the veggies I saw most often at the farmer's market, especially up here. I finally decided to get some. Turns out that it's a German vegetable that grows pretty easily most places. Here's what Cook's Thesaurus says:

kohlrabi = cabbage turnip = stem cabbage = turnip cabbage Pronunciation: kohl-RAHB-ee or kohl-RAH-bee Notes: A kohlrabi resembles a turnip, only it's sweeter and more delicately flavored. It's light green and sometimes sold with its edible greens attached. It can be eaten raw or cooked. Choose small ones, and peel before using. Substitutes: broccoli stems OR celeriac (especially in remoulades) OR turnips OR parsnips

I tried it both ways, raw and cooked. It was mild both ways. When it was raw it was sort of sweet, but not like sugar, more like honey. Cooked it just sort of tasted like a cooked turnip. To cook it I trimmed the ends and peeled it like I would peel a melon. The potato peeler didn't work on the big kohlrabi I got. If it was really long or round, I cut it in half crosswise, then used a big sharp knife I just sort of carved around the edges to get off the tough skin. Then I just roasted it like a root vegetable (cubed or sliced evenly, tossed with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roasted at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until soft). You can also saute the greens like you would spinach. They tasted pretty normal.
All in all, I wouldn't say it was all that interesting, except in raw form.

No comments: