Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Mayan (?) Hot Chocolate

Today felt like a cooking day, so I decided to make a spinach and butternut squash salad when I remembered that the recipe insert in this Sunday's paper had a recipe that they called Mayan Hot Chocolate. It also feels like a hot chocolate day, and the first ingredient was butternut squash, so I figured I could just set aside some squash from the salad (of course, not tossing this squash with oil, salt, and pepper before roasting it) and give it a shot.

Puree 2/3 cup of mashed butternut squash and 1/2 cup 2% milk in a food processor. Place in a saucepan with 2 cups milk and 6 ounces of chocolate morsels. Heat until chocolate melts. Serves 2.

I don't know what I thought it would taste like, but I didn't expect it to taste like butternut squash mixed in with some hot chocolate, which is what it does taste like. It's got some fibrous chewiness that I'm not sure is worth the extra trouble. I'm also not sure that the Mayans made their hot chocolate with squash, but as I wasn't there I can't say for sure. The salad is good, though.

No comments: