Saturday, August 16, 2008

Orange Cookies

Remember those lime cookies I made a while ago? I brought them into work and Ross said that his mom makes orange cookies, which are his favorite cookies in the world. Six months later, she sent him the recipe to give to me. It seems to be from a church cookbook fundraiser, one in which everyone knows the contributers and would enjoy the little anecdotes about how Mrs. Wallace and her daughter have differing baking strategies. :) That was a nice touch. This made about twice as many cookies as a nestle toll house recipe.

2 C. sugar
1 c. Shortening
1 tsp. salt
3 eggs
2 oranges (grated rind and juice)
1 c. buttermilk
4.5 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder

Icing:
1 orange (grated rind and juice)
1 box powdered sugar
1 Tbles butter (optional)

Cream together sugar, shortening, and salt. Add egges, rind, and juice of the 2 oranges and buttermilk. Beat well. Add flour, soda, and baking powder. Blend well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

While still warm, frost with icing made from orange rind and juice and sugar, combine until smooth before icing. (I used a knife to spread it on the cookies, working over the icing bowl).

Barbara Dorsey bakes her cookies at 350 for 10 minutes. She also adds 1 tbls butter to icing.

RESULTS: These turned out really light and fluffy. The cookies themselves don't have a lot of flavor, but the icing brings it all together. Because of the two weirdly different cooking times and temperatures, I split the difference and cooked them at 375 for 12 minutes. I think next time I'll try it on the higher temp and the longer time, to see what they would be like a little cruchier.

1 comment:

#1 daughter/sister said...

These sound really good Katie!

I was sorry to hear that I missed your stop in Oxford last week! Hope you & Chris had a great vacation!

Love, J