Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Twist on Pasta Arrabiata

One week you read that salmon's the best thing you can eat, and the next it's full of mercury, and then it's ok again. Very confusing. One of the few things that I've read nutritionists agree on, along with almonds and whole grains, is beans. Since we already don't really get enough protein (I think I've made maybe three things with meat in them), I've trying to work legumes into our diet more and more. They're also cheap and full of fiber. Good things!

Today I added a can of cannelloni beans (white kidney beans) into my usual Pasta Arrabiata. We both gave it a big thumbs up. The beans added a nice creamy texture. I just added them in with the tomatoes.

You may be wondering why I'm not posting more often as of late. The truth is, I'm not really cooking all that much with all the vegetables and fruit that taste pretty great just on their own. Yesterday I sat down with some watermelon I bought on Saturday and I think I must have eaten 3 cups before I made myself stop for fear of gastrointestinal distress. It's also just too stinking hot to cook up big productions. So, maybe in a few weeks I'll get the cooking bug again.

In other news, I made an appointment to have my eyes checked on Friday. Chris has been saying for years that I squint when I read, and yesterday I caught myself holding a letter at arm's length. This is very distressing. Needing reading glasses is, to me, a sign of age, whereas simply having bad eyesight since childhood is a genetic thing. I think I really did the eyes in with all the reading I had to do in graduate school and 8 hours on the computer every day since hasn't helped them any. As Indiana Jones says, it's not the years, it's the mileage. Sigh! Cross your fingers for me, I don't want glasses!

No comments: