Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sweet Corn and Squash Soup


Got lots of corn and squash? Have I got the soup for you! From Cooking Light:


This delicately flavored dish is a choice opener for a meal featuring seasonal vegetables. Chopped chives are a nice garnish if squash blossoms aren't available. Make this up to one day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Gently reheat before serving.

1 tablespoon butter
2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
4 cups fresh corn kernels (about 7 ears)
3 cups water
2 cups chopped yellow squash
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 fresh squash blossoms, thinly sliced (optional)

1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion to pan; cover and cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add corn and next 4 ingredients (through pepper); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Place half of corn mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Strain corn mixture through a sieve into a large bowl; discard solids. Repeat procedure with remaining corn mixture. Garnish with squash blossom slices, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup soup)

RESULTS: I used my stick blender rather than the blender blender. I had a lot of "solids", but I also didn't feel like straining them all out, I kinda like a chewy soup, so I sort of did half and half. Maybe it's because all those solids were still in there, but it was surprisingly filling. It turned out really nice; delicate is definitely the word to describe the flavor. If you want to try this soup, I would recommend checking out the reviews at My Recipes. They had some good suggestions for rounding out the flavor. I really like the goat cheese idea.

5 comments:

Nancy Ferguson said...

This sounds really good!

B. said...

Sounds very good to me too-- wish we had decent corn here in Italy, and you can't even get it frozen, just canned (GACK!)
Have you tried using the immersion blender instead of the normal one ? It makes working with hot things like soups much easier and safer-- they don't 'escape' through the top.... and is a much quicker clean-up job...

Hope you guys have a great time at thebeach !
Betsy

KV said...

Bobby, I definitely used the immersion blender for that soup. I love it! It's so much fun.

We had a great time at the beach, and somehow escaped with only very minor sunburns. :)

B. said...

ANy pictures to post ?????
xo Betsy

KV said...

No pictures. We packed the camera but then forgot all about it. It looked like a beach. :) Not nearly as cool as the alps, but still great.