
Alfredo Sauce (with fettuccine) from Cookinglight.com: "We used half-and-half instead of whipping cream and decreased the amount of butter and cheese ever so slightly to lower the fat by about 10 grams per serving."
1 pound uncooked fettuccine
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/4 cups half-and-half
3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add half-and-half, cheese, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; add pasta, tossing gently to coat. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
RESULTS: I'm including this mostly for comparison's sake to the other alfredo recipe below, which was delish, but way rich. This recipe was just awful, and looked nothing like the photo online. Either the half-and-half separated or the parm cheese never melted, but it was as lumpy as if I had added scrambled eggs. Even if it hadn't been lumpy, it didn't taste anything remote close to an improvement over pasta with butter and cheese, which is sort of my standard. If it's a pasta dish, the nutrition or taste improvement over pasta with butter has to be significant enough to counteract the work that went into preparing it, and this definitely did not. Plus, we know from experience that creamy sauces don't reheat well at all, so I couldn't even save the leftovers! Not that we wanted it again.
Herb update: The mint is completely out of control already. I'm glad I knew this about mint beforehard, because otherwise I might have been afraid it would start calling me Seymour, asking for me to feed it. It has literally and at least DOUBLED in height in two weeks.
On the tamer side, the parsley has just exploded upwards. It's definitely taller than the basil, which seems to have decided to take a break from growing up to work on leaf growth, which is great because I can't transplant it to it's permanent home until the first set of true leaves come in. Exciting stuff!
No comments:
Post a Comment