
I had a big presentation today for the staff, so I baked cookies. Seems reasonable.Makes: 32
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest, (2 medium limes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until light, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add lime zest, lime juice, and salt; beat until combined. Add flour; beat until dough is just combined.
- Place dough on a 16-by-12-inch piece of parchment or wax paper. Using your hands, shape into an 8-inch log; flatten into a rectangle (1 1/2 inches high and 2 1/2 inches wide). Fold paper over log; flatten sides against work surface. Refrigerate dough until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Slice dough crosswise 1/4 inch thick; place on sheets. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are puffed and barely golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool; glaze.
- To make Lime Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until spreadable. Using back of a small spoon, spread about 1/2 teaspoon glaze on each cooled cookie.
I had some problems getting the log to square up right because the dough was so soft, so I think it would have been good to chill the dough a little, either in the mixing bowl or in the parchment, before squaring the edges. If the dough gets too soft to slice with your sharpest knife, flip it upside down.
As for baking, I used my great silicon baking mat, which worked perfectly. I would say if you think you've cut them thin, err on the side of golden brown doneness, but be careful because they can turn colors pretty fast. Ideally, they would be thick enough so that just they can hold together just barely brown. Once you put the glaze on, though, you can't taste the difference. Finally, I was worried about the glaze, I didn't think that 5 teaspoons of liquid could really melt all that sugar, but it did!
6 comments:
Katie,
In my imagination this tastes wonderful. Dinner's here Sunday and though winter has not quite left us and Spring is not quite here, we're getting close enough to try something that will remind us Spring is in the very foreseeable future. I think I'll try it out on the Key Lime pie devotees and I'll let you know their reactions.
Mom
that's exactly why I made them! Had the Key Lime bug. (I tried to make key lime pie from scratch a few years ago, and those little limes took so long to zest and to get enough juice out of! Of course, I didn't have a zester or a juicer like I do now.) I hope you like them, Mom! Just remember that the dough has to chill at least an hour (I did mine overnight). I think the glaze took about two hours to set, but that probably depends on how thick the glaze is and how humid the air is, etc. Let me know what everyone thinks!
PS, do you have a good Irish soda bread recipe?
Katie,
So glad to hear your silicon mat is coming in handy! These sound yummy!
Love, Jan
It is getting to be that time isn't it? So one Irish Soda Bread recipe coming up.
1/2c currants or raisins(though I prefer raisins)
3T Irish Whiskey (Bourbon may not be used as a substitute though Scotch may be)
3c sifted flour
1t salt
1 1/2t baking powder
1t baking soda
1T light brown sugar
1/4c chopped candied orange peel
2t caraway powder or seeds (I prefer the seeds)
1 1/2c or more buttermilk (see directions below)
Soak currants or raisins in whiskey an hour or more.
Sift all dry ingredients together.
Toss currants/raisins & whiskey marinade through flour mix.
Mix in orange peel & caraway.
Stir in enough buttermilk to make a light dough, like muffin dough.
Use greased, floured 10" circular pan or skillet.
Bake at 350 for 35 min.
Cake should shrink from sides of pan when done.
Cool 1 1/2 - 2 hr. before serving.
Have fun!
Mom
The Lime-glazed cookies passed the taste test among the Key Lime pie aficionados!!!!! Uncle Dave looked at me with a big grin on his face and a cookie in his hand and just kept nodding his approval.
The cookies were easy to make but I was having concerns about the size. From the picture, I got the impression they were larger then the dimensions that your squared-off log was indicating. But once I wrapped my mind around the idea that they would be about the size of a Lorna Doone I was OK.
Mom
Yeah, thanks so much Jan! The mat is great. I really love it for working with chocolates. It's unstickable!
Post a Comment