Sunday, March 9, 2008

Battle of the Irish Soda Breads

Every year when I was little we would go to the Science Fair at my grade school, which was always in the beginning of March. The science fair was pretty cool, every grade had a theme, up until the 7th & 8th grades where the students did their own individual experiments. A boy in my class, for example, proved definitively that Stain Stick removed stains better than Spray & Wash (although that would be disputed in future Science Fairs). They always had a bake sale, and we would always get some of the Irish Soda Bread this one lady would make every year. So I really start to crave it right around the time that it starts warming up.

For those of you who don't keep track in the comments, my mom sent me her recipe for Irish Soda Bread. Bethie also emailed me one that she found in the Washington Post (my favorite part about this article is that under the name of the dish, "Dark Irish Soda Bread," it listed cuisine, "Irish" and course, "bread." Thank goodness they spelled that out for us). These recipes are very different from each other and from the bread that you can get at the Irish Lion here in town. Beth's is made with whole wheat flour and molasses, and Mom's has all the bells and whistles--the bells being candied orange peels and raisins or currants and the whistle being Irish whiskey.

In the next couple of weeks, I'll make one loaf of each and report back. I'll try to be as faithful to the recipe as I can, despite the sad truth that I can't agree with my mom when she said that she "prefers raisins" (to currants. I don't prefer raisins to anything!). Currants seem to be tiny raisins, which have been put on my list and crossed out, as Red Danaher would say, but I will try them!

No comments: