Saturday, March 15, 2008

Mom's Bells and Whistles Irish Soda Bread Part 2: The Bread Itself

1/2c currants or raisins
3T Irish Whiskey (Bourbon may not be used as a substitute though Scotch may be)
3c sifted flour
1t salt
1 1/2t baking powder
1t baking soda
1T light brown sugar
1/4c chopped candied orange peel
2t caraway powder or seeds (I prefer the seeds)
1 1/2c or more buttermilk (see directions below)

Soak currants or raisins in whiskey an hour or more.
Sift all dry ingredients together.
Toss currants/raisins & whiskey marinade through flour mix.
Mix in orange peel & caraway.
Stir in enough buttermilk to make a light dough, like muffin dough.

Use greased, floured 10" circular pan or skillet.

Bake at 350 for 35 min.

Cake should shrink from sides of pan when done.

Cool 1 1/2 - 2 hr. before serving.


RESULTS: Victory!! This was what I wanted. I don't care for the orange peel in the bread, though, but everything else is great. This is a little wetter and softer than the other bread, and if you don't put it in the round pan like it says to, it spreads out a bit like a giant cookie. Still good though. I'm not sure the currants and whiskey add much, so if you don't care for those, I think you can leave them out. The dough is just really tasty. Sorry Beth, Mom wins!

PS: I gave some to Suz and Brad WHO JUST GOT ENGAGED!!!! and Suz said she COULD taste the currants (couldn't taste the whiskey) and the oranges were her favorite part, and thought they worked perfectly with the currants. So, I'd say, if your tastes lean that way, go for it. The oranges were fun to make, anyway,

No comments: