I made a sauce for ravioli today that was made from dried porcini mushrooms and butter, cream and shallots. Dis-gusting. The mushrooms were completely gritty, it was like eating sand. Luckily, we tasted the sauce before pouring it on the ravioli, so we just had the ravioli with butter. I might be better with fresh mushrooms, but I think I'll forever associate that flavor with grit. Chris wasn't too excited about the smell, either.
It's been an eventful week here. I caught a 36-hour bug, Chris pulled a shoulder muscle, Harper swallowed a mysterious pointy something, so we've been on dog-watch all night to make sure she doesn't puncture her stomach. I think she's fine, though. Thanks to her vet, Dr. Beth!
In quieter news, my basil is totally spouting. There are little basil plants all over the tray, it's great. I hope some of them make it to adulthood. No parsley yet, but there isn't supposed to be since it takes so long to sprout. Yesterday was also gloriously warm and sunny. Spring can't be far off now. Hurray!
By the way, for those of you know someone celebrating their 100 Wedding Anniversary, apparently the gift to give is a 10K diamond. We're just going to stick to paper this year.
2 comments:
You are already ahead of the game since you have 3K. I am relieved to hear paper will do. Does it have to be recycled since this is your first time around? Did you soak the mushrooms in milk? That separates out the non mushrooms I would think. When I have done it the mushrooms swell and you can separate them with a sieve.Ti volgio bene.
il suocero
I didn't soak the mushrooms in milk, that might help. OH! I totally know what I did wrong! The recipe said to strain the mushrooms through a sieve lined with a paper towel or coffee filter, but you had to reserve the liquid. I thought, why make the extra dishes? and I just reached in and picked the mushrooms out of the bowl, leaving all the grit still in there with the liquid, which got added to the sauce later. If I had done what it said to do, the liquid would have been strained through the paper towel and there wouldn't have been any grit. Thanks for the tip, Dave! Maybe I'll give the dried mushrooms another shot sometime.
Post a Comment