Sunday, March 9, 2008

Maple Corn Bread

This is from Cooking Light magazine:

A preheated cast-iron skillet is essential to create a crisp crust and moist interior.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 ounces)
  • 2/3 cup stone-ground cornmeal
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 425°.

2. Place an 8-inch cast-iron skillet in preheated oven for 10 minutes.

3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine yogurt, syrup, butter, and eggs, stirring with a whisk. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist (batter will be thick).

4. Remove pan from oven; coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon batter into preheated pan, smoothing top with a spatula. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes.


Results: Well, admittedly, I used regular pancake syrup with this instead of maple syrup because a) people who left a note about this recipe online said they couldn't taste the maple anyway and b) I was out.

Also, I pulled it out of the oven too soon. My oven runs hot, so I check things early. The toothpick came out clean with a minute to go, but the inside was still a tad bit gooey. The parts that were done were still moist, which was good, and it had sort of a nice subtle tangy flavor from the yogurt. But, I have to say, not my favorite corn bread. Brad liked it, but I don't think I'll make it again. On the plus side, the whole house smelled of pancakes.

If you do make it, I didn't think it was all going to fit in my 8-in skillet, but it did, and it didn't puff very much during cooking.

No comments: